Guestbook

- -

Where you end up depends on where you choose to go

Monday, February 08, 2010

Second day down...

... and I am still alive. Wohoooo. So yesterday, we were in a group of 5, all sooo nervous but our clinical educator was really nice, he is a funny guy so it went all well. Today we were in a a group of 3, first patient in the morning had a surgery on colon the day before and we had to mobilize her and check her lung function etc. Man, she was sick and not feeling well, grumpy and in pain and then u come in and have to get her out of bed and cough, all the things that make her feel worse and sick and give her pain. A

anyway, I interviewed her and she cld hardly follow me but I talked about her kids for a bit so then her mood was pretty good and she answered all my questions. When we mobilized her, we got a bit tangled up cos she had so many attachments and we had to take the big oxygen thing, once one of the catheters was pulling, oops, and she reacted also when we disconnected the ...well i use lame terms...poo-bag and blood-bag above the level of her insertion so she must have felt the pressure....so many things to watch. then she felt sick and wanted to vomit, couldnt hold herself up in standing....a lot of responsibility.

funny thing, how u feel like a doctor with the stetoscope around your neck and stuff, LOL, not quite there but can do a few things as well :) so amazing how they trust you so much. it's cool!



Second case today, just now this arvo, massive bed chart and medical history. We take like half an hour to go thru the charts and values and tests, medications, history etc pp....and i wish doctors would have learnt to write properly. so hard to read. not even mentioning the millions of acronyms- no who needs words....totally overrated.

anyway, that's really hard to understand the condition and the meds and how it all affects our treatment, contra indications, safety issues. Wow, i have learned so much in these two days tho which i kinda like. I like learning, the more I know, the better physio I will be. Exciting stuff.


But treating an unwell patient who just came from surgery is hard, sometimes they hallucinate or as i said, faint on you or vomit....we'll see how that all goes. I had to do the assessment of the cardiac patient this arvo and he told me I was the best of the whole day, WOP WOP, my talking was very nice, efficient, not too much, understandable, not too many medical terms and, what is most important, he felt very comfortable me being his physio and how I treated him and i established good rapport. YESSS! that made my day. Going home now and relaxing. Long day and my brain is exhausted. We have this after-exam-feeling a few times a day, puh. Ok no tears today but big confidence boost!!

No comments: