Guestbook

- -

Where you end up depends on where you choose to go

Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Aussies



On the left picture you can see Mandy, she is the wife of our coach Grant Robertson and also trains with us at this Beach Volleyball Academy Sandstorm (www.sandstorm.com.au) I met her in Klagenfurt the first time when Ryan introduced me to all the Aussie guys who were over in Europe for the big World Tour Event in Austria. Mandy cares about me very much, thank you, mate =) and always makes sure that I am fine and know whats going on.

To complete my integration she bought me an Aussie hair band and thongs with the Aussie flag for Australia Day so that I could be a real Aussie. You wouldnt imagine that but the only thing that you could see on the 26th of January was the blue, red, white- Aussie flag EVERYWHERE: players wore Aussie- tatoos, hairbands, sarongs, towels, shorts, caps, thongs, shirts....that was pretty amazing. We went for a walk that night through Surfers Paradise and there it was even more Aussie :) Girls actually wore dresses made out of the flag, they were all going off. It was good to see that, see how proud you can be of your country, how satisfied and content- that was awesome.

Beanie, one of the boys I am living with, tells me at least one time every day when he tries to explain ANYthing to me "Anna, thats because....." and then its my part to continue as a good pupil "...Australia is the best country in the world" They are funny. I also loved the atmosphere in the pedestrian precinct because people were around, having ice-cream, partying, dining, strolling around....sth was happening, the city was alive, not as sleepy as in Roth for instance. I love it!



On the right picture you can see Amelia and Josh Slack. Amelia, called Midge, is my partner for the rest of the season and I really appreciate playing with her. I can learn heaps from her. Josh and his partner are actually the Australian mens team number 1 in Australia :O He even coached us one day, exciting ;) They are playing world Tour as well and apparently smash the Germans every now and then?!? Didn't really want to believe that....Beanie's comment "Anna you know, that's because...." =)

Well I will see at the Australian Championships next weekend how they go because Julius Brink and Christoph Dieckmann as well as Hella Jurich and Rieke Brink-Abeler are playing the Australian National Tour at the moment and obviously tried to escape German weather. Maybe I can say hello at some stage? That would be awesome. You know, first see them playing in Klagenfurt in the stadium and then stand next to the court.... cool!

























Copyright © Delly Carr - Sportsphotography


Magnificent Gold Coast at it's best
Copyright © Tourism Queensland

No comments: